"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Cheese, cubed

I hope you can see well enough to notice Honey's cheesing for me from two different angles while hubby's doing storytime. :) Speedy's favorite book of the moment is Little Quack or Little Quack's Hide-and-Seek. Princess is easier to please, it doesn't matter as long as SHE gets to pick it out! Honey likes to read anything that tastes good. I hope she's picking up on a lot just eavesdropping on what I read to the older two, because it sure doesn't feel like I get a chance to read much just to her on her level.

Cheese #2!
And cheese #3: grilled cheese...
...but April Fool's, it's actually pound cake and frosting. The kids and I had fun with this idea from Family Fun. Hubby didn't figure it out until he picked one up. Here is the pound cake recipe I quickly found when our grocery store didn't have any pound cakes for sale. I baked it in 2 loaf pans for about 35 min; and of course didn't have any sour cream, so subbed yogurt--half vanilla, half peach. The cake didn't seem any worse for it!

I've finished reading Shepherding A Child's Heart. It's written from a very scriptural perspective, and has a lot of good things to say. It focuses on being intentional and changing your child's heart (which is what motivates the bad behavior.) Seems like the method of change is mostly lecture, quoting scripture and sharing appropriate anecdotes. I'm not sure how to implement that with our seemingly strong-willed kids, but the book did encourage me to be more intentional in noting the kids' strengths, weaknesses, and gifts; as well as developing good character traits in them. Makes me tired just thinking about being so intentional. Anybody have any insights on this?

4 comments:

betsyann said...

I love the sandwich! I think that will be lots of fun, to play tricks on Daddy with Anna. Thanks for the idea.

Robynandwes said...

Cute. I wish someone would have made me a fake sandwich. But, alas, we got pink eye for our April fool's!

Robynandwes said...

By the way, when do you do story time? Is it a bedtime ritual? Morning? Or just whenever?? Just wondering!

Melanie said...

It is a lot more fun to have partners in crime, Betsy, than to try to play tricks on your own. And if it comes off dumb, I can always blame the kids. hee, hee.

Nothing funny about pink eye, though, Robyn! I had to designate storytime for us after lunch, right before naptime. That way I'm definitely reading to them everyday, and most of the time it helps set the 'mood' for naps, too. At bedtime, we read from the Bible and have our devotion time. When the older two are in bed by 9 pm, I'll read them a chapter from our current book. (Speaking of which, Stuart Little is probably getting pretty lonely for us! Kids weren't to bed till 10:30 tonight--yikes!)