"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Monday, March 24, 2008

Accept Each Day as it Comes

I received a new devotional book for my birthday, 'Dear Jesus' by Sarah Young. I try to read one at breakfast--sometimes the only quiet chance I get, while the little mouths are munching. :) Today's was good for me, here's a blurb (as if spoken by Jesus):

"Human minds, though capable of brilliance, tend to be undisciplined and rebellious. To counteract this weakness, I have provided help in the Person of the Holy Spirit. ... Your time and energy are limited; only I know how much of each you have. Try to accept each day as a precious gift from Me, thanking Me for it rather than wishing it away. Ask Me to accomplish My purposes in and through you this day. Instead of wasting so much energy longing for what is not, invest that energy in trusting Me."

I thought it was a good reminder, as a stay-home mom, that I might not accomplish what I want today, but it's still a good day, still a day where I've served a purpose. Reminds me not to always be looking where the 'grass is greener' but to have joy and contentment in current circumstances. With the devotion were several verses, this one stuck out especially because I saw it over the doorway as I was leaving a family member's house yesterday, and I thought it was a great spot and great verse to read as you leave your house:

"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."
---Psalm 118:24

No comments: