"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Friday, August 15, 2008

A couple recipes

I'm finally getting around to posting my favorite homemade play-do recipe! I think it's so much easier to clean up than the boughten stuff. It's a fun color and smell, too! Halving this recipe makes enough for my 2 older kiddos to play with.

Kool-Aid Play-do

2-1/2 c flour
1 c salt
2 pkg unsweetened kool-aid
3 tsp veg. oil
2 c water

1. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
2. In saucepan, bring water to boil. Turn off heat and add oil.
3. Pour oil and water mixture into bowl of dry ingredients. Blend and knead until well mixed. (It will be hot!)

We usually keep ours in a margarine tub in the fridge for months.

Homemade Baby Wipes
Cut a roll of paper towels in half to make 2 short rolls. (I like Bounty select-a-size)
For a container, I use a round wipes container that the cheap wipes come in--I've had it for 4 years, I think!

2 c water
1-1/2 tsp rubbing alcohol
1 Tbsp baby shampoo
2 Tbsp baby oil

Mix together in container; remove center tube from paper towels; put lid on and turn upside down for a few minutes to get an even soak.

You can tweak the amounts of ingredients, depending on how wet, soapy, etc. you prefer your wipes.

GET-YA MOVIN’ GRANOLA

4 c old-fashioned oatmeal (or quick oats)
1 c wheat germ
1 c coconut (I make it without this)
½ c Canola oil
½ c brown sugar (or honey)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 c almonds, or nuts of choice
1 c dried fruit if desired

Mix everything together except nuts and fruit. Spread on cookie sheets or pans. Bake at 200 degrees for 2-3 hours. Add nuts and fruit at the last part of the baking time. Cool and store in an air tight container.

There. Can you tell what all I've made in the last two days? :) Also, if you've never heard about teaching your baby/toddler signs to communicate instead of screaming and grunting, here's a good link with more details. About the most we've gotten to with any of our kids are 'milk' and 'more,' but even those help immensely!

Shenanigans of the day around here--during nap time, Speedy was wanting to hide behind hubby's low closet bar. Usually fine. But today I later found that he had taken ALL the hanging clothes off and put them in a huge mound on the floor. I can't believe that this kids who complains about being 'too tired' or 'not big enough' to do things, could empty an entire closet rod. Even later, I heard he and Princess jumping on our bed. I went in, and they had their shirts off, all the pillows and covers on the floor, and the laundry baskets blocking the door.

And the non-stop questions...like about the snake the dog killed in the flower bed WEEKS ago. Speedy: Where did it go?
Me: It shriveled up in the sun.
Speedy: And then it died?
Me: No, it was dead before it shriveled up.
Speedy: And then where did it go?
Me: It turned back to dirt.
Princess: Does everything turn back to dirt when it dies?
Me: Pretty much.
Princess: Eww, I don't want to be dirt when I die.
Me (sigh): The part that matters will be in heaven; it's only the part that doesn't matter any more that will be dirt.
Princess: Oh. So, like, snakes and panthers and people and bears and everything turn back to dirt?
Me: Yes, I think so.

No comments: