"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Reading time

I actually had opportunity to catch up on some reading this week! (i.e., I went to bed at a decent hour and read in bed!) I just finished 'Preacher's Kids' by Grace Nies Fletcher, in which she relates what it was like growing up in a preacher's family at the turn of the century. She has a very warm way of writing, and it was neat to see how tightly knit their family was. Although, she and her brother did each come to a point where they tested their parents' faith and had to make it their own. A note from one of the dad's sermons on prayer stuck out to me: "What is prayer?...when what we want and what God wants are one and the same. Then only do we reach up to touch the hand of God, our Father." Simple, yet profound.


I also started reading 'Knowing God' by J.I.Packer. It's pretty deep, but will give a lot to think about. I think it will be looking at God's character and attributes. The author talks about knowing God more, not for the sake of knowledge itself; but as the writer of Ps 119's goal is, so ours should be: "He wanted to understand God's truth in order that his heart might respond to it and his life be conformed to it." Christian life in a nutshell! Stay tuned for more from 'Knowing God.'

And now for a few random smatterings that I was hoping to get done last night--but the internet was being a PAIN!

I have several moss rose plants that have just flourished this year--they are like small bushes, really! The picture doesn't do justice to the pretty red color that these are. And I have NEVER had marigolds that looked like this! Huge plants, huge blossoms, SO MANY blossoms! Hubby is glad to see that the cow manure he filled in the flower bed is making its mark. I guess I'm a believer in the difference fertilizer can make, too!
Yesterday Speedy was sent to lie down in our room. We went to get him for school and couldn't find him. We finally followed the blanket trail to the back of the closet under Hubby's hanging clothes. Speedy is quite drawn to the closet during nap time for some reason.
Everyone had their sunset pics from the KSU game this weekend on facebook; so here's mine:
And, our 3 little tailgaters were tired, but had a pretty good time at the game. Speedy couldn't stop talking about Willie the Wildcat. :)

2 comments:

Robynandwes said...

Manhattan, huh? You were not to far from me! :) ~Robyn

Robynandwes said...

Ug, that should be 'too'.