"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

An Apple a Day

...Won't get me very far in using up all these yummy apples we picked at my parents' place over the weekend! We have about four boxes of galas and one box of jonathans. My mom told Hubby that jonathans are good pie apples, and his mouth has been watering ever since. He cracks me up!
Honey is not sure about reaching in to grab an apple...
Princess and Speedy are looking for 'good ones.' They lasted about 10 minutes picking, and then were off to explore other things. Can't blame them, I thought it was pretty warm out and the mosquitos were swarming me. (but not Hubby. not fair.)
Today was a gorgeous, cool, rainy, fallish day, and the kids helped me 'spin' (use the corer/peeler/slicer) apples for a batch of pie or crisp filling. I of course, didn't feel like six quarts was much to show for our work, but Hubby was thrilled to see it when he got home after practice.
I'm glad I can impress him--this year I've done more canning/freezing than I have ever attempted on my own before. (I used to get roped into helping some growing up, but I don't remember being as willing as my kiddos are!) I've gotten a lot of good info from family, this blog, and this blog, and the county extension website.

No comments: