"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Good Read

Amazingly, I am still able to enjoy reading--in smaller bits of time than pre-kid, but I still enjoy it quite a bit. (And sometimes I get to read books without pictures, too!) :) I just finished 'The Baronet's Song' by George MacDonald, it's a nice read, very descriptive of the Scottish countryside, but not too descriptive to make it boring. It's a touching story about an orphan, who although treated very poorly, still has a pure spirit and love for humanity. He's always looking out for others, what he could do for them, never thinking what he would or could gain from it, and that really impressed me. He comes to know Jesus through a woman who takes him in. The description of her faith was simple, but impressive to me: "Not for years and years had Janet been to church. She had long been unable to walk so far; and having no book but the best, and no help to understand it but the highest, her faith was simple, strong, real, all-pervading. Day by day she pored over the great gospel until she had grown to be one of the noble ladies of the kingdom of heaven--one of those who inherit the earth and are ripening to see God. For the Master, and His mind in hers, was her teacher. She had little or no theology save what He taught her. To Janet, Jesus Christ was no object of so-called theological speculation, but a living Man who somehow or other heard her when she called to Him,..." Not that I'm advocating not going to church by any means, I just thought it interesting how complicated we make knowing God sometimes.

2 comments:

betsyann said...

Yay! I'm excited you have a blog now. It's such a nice way to connect with people. Maybe technology won't ruin the world after all. :)

I love George MacDonald too. My brother in law's favorite is "At the Back of the North Wind". I haven't read it yet.

Melanie said...

I am going to have to look harder for some of MacDonald's other books--our library doesn't have any!