"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dying to Dye

The kiddos have been raring to dye Easter eggs. Hubby and I blew these out, a couple at a time. Hard work! I made my own dye with red, yellow, and blue food coloring, then mixed to get orange, green and purple. The recipe: 1/8 tsp food color; 1/2 Tbsp vinegar; 3/8 cup hot water. (This is half the original recipe, I didn't want much because we were using rags and droppers to tie-dye the eggs.
It takes lots of concentration:


They were having so much fun, I ended up hard-boiling a few, too. We used a glue-water mixture and rolled some in glitter (the glue made the color bleed, though.) We used glue dots and glitter for some polka effect. They used crayons on a couple--I added a bit of vinegar to the boiling water, they drew on warm eggs, then let it set for 30 minutes or so.
Our egg stand, inspired by this one in Family Fun. It's my cake stand on the bottom, then an upside-down plastic cup, topped with a clear plastic dessert plate.

No comments: