"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

School Update

I shared some of my frustrations with our 'school' at home a couple posts ago. Here are some of the things I've tried this week: dropped the sight words & booklets for Princess from Hubbard's Cupboard, and added some FREE worksheets from here to help work on writing her numbers and letters correctly. (J is still always facing the wrong way!) I've also done some of the simplest worksheets and coloring pages for Speedy, as well as picked up some color/shape/theme stuff from Brightly Beaming. Still doesn't all tie together as nicely as I'd like, but the kids are having more fun, and really, no matter what we do that we call 'school' for the day, they are excited when Daddy comes home at the end of the day to tell him about it. :)

Family quality time mowing the lawn: Honey with Daddy:
Speedy wearing the...I don't even know what they're called, but they block the sound!
And Speedy mowing while Princess runs around. She took the other two pics with her Kidizoom camera. I need to investigate if we can improve the pixel quality. Anybody out there have one and have advice??

2 comments:

Robynandwes said...

I ready somewhere about helping teach kids their letters to cut letters out of sandpaper and have them trace it with their finger. It makes more of an impression because it is also tactile.

(Or let them do it in shaving cream, but can you imagine the mess? haha. That is sometimes what makes a difference!)

Just a thought, not that you really need any help. Sounds like you are doing great on your own. ~Robyn

Melanie said...

I let them play with shaving cream in the tub sometimes--maybe we'll have to work on letters in there with it. :) If I have energy left by the bathtime rolls around! We've also tried making the letter shapes out of play-do. Just depends on the day how much cooperation I get!