How is it that seemingly simple tasks can turn into an ORDEAL so quickly with munchkins?? Yesterday, maybe I just should have known better after I returned from mopping up milk in the dining room and found Honey pouring almost a WHOLE pitcher of apple juice all over the counter, herself, down the dishwasher, and onto the floor. And we've ALREADY been having trouble with ants. But...we had portraits scheduled, so I got breakfast cleaned up and proceeded to get everybody ready. Princess wasn't bad, she's been looking forward to her 5-yr pics for a couple weeks. Honey was fairly cooperative. Speedy...now this is where things started turning sour. He DID NOT want to wear the nice outfit we'd picked out. I eventually got it on him; then he was CONVINCED he needed to wear his yellow socks. Sorry, kiddo, not for these pictures. We're about ready to get in the van, everyone is clean and dressed, just need to brush Speedy's hair. I wet it down (like Hubby does) and brushed it to get those rooster tails flat. He proceeded to say he didn't want his hair wet and rubbed it dry with the hand towel. And say that he wanted 'crazy hair' and mussed it all up. Grr. (You can see why on most days, no one has neat hair when we leave the house!) I think we actually made it to the mall on time, checked in and straightened hair, put Honey's shoes and socks back on (she kicks them off whenever she's in the van for more than 2 minutes.) Then Princess has to go potty. "Are you sure you can't wait?" "No, I have to go REALLY bad!" The 4 of us trucked to the restroom, which thankfully, wasn't far. Back to take the pictures--no one would cooperate. Honey wouldn't stay (or even go) to her spot; Princess was kind of pouty and wouldn't really smile; Speedy was rolling around instead of staying put. So we gave up on all 3 for the moment and went on to the birthday girl. Who would not cooperate.
The photographer: "Would you like to come back and try a different day, to get what you were looking for?"
Me (not out loud): "No, I would not like to get all three of these kids dressed nicely with hair combed and out of the house on a certain time on another day to come back to this studio where you are not engaging them or working with them at all."
Me (out loud): "No, I don't think that would help."
Finally, between another worker coming to our rescue to make the kids smile and pose them; and fruit snacks from the diaper bag for Honey in between shots, we came up with some decent pics. While waiting for our pics to load, Princess had to go potty again. Are you serious? We truck back to the restroom, and she starts to go in by herself. A good thing. But she pushes the door right next to the bathroom by accident. Not so good. It's a fire exit and the alarm starts sounding. She starts crying. I try not to start crying. A saleswoman comes to turn it off and says not to worry, it happens every weekend. Not much consolation after the morning we've had.
So, when you get the kids' pictures in the mail, it might be wise to refrain from any comments regarding anything that's not positive. :)
2 comments:
Anna is, at the moment, crying desperately because she does not want to wear leggings to church. I've explained that what she thinks is a dress is actually a top, and that we can't wear things that show our panties, but it's still a major tragedy.
I'm feeling for you. 3! and pictures! and fire alarms!
It's so hard to think about things from the munchkins' perspective...how wearing leggings or combing your hair REALLY can be the end of the world! :)
Post a Comment