"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

I didn't think we'd been spending THAT much time outside lately, but compared to being STUCK indoors ALL day for 2 straight days, with more rain on the way...Whew. What's a tired momma in her 3rd trimester to do??

Here's some randomness for the week: our minivan is getting a new transmission. We're not sure if it's the right decision to pour more money into a vehicle with 150,000 or so miles on it...but too late now, so we'll make it work. Hopefully it will be ready to pick up tomorrow. Wouldn't normally be a big deal, as Hubby can have an excuse to ride his motorcycle every day. But--the rain. Our area is approaching record-setting rainfall for the year. Thankfully, the basement hasn't leaked again.

Saturday I made the mistake of thinking that walking (10-15 min) to our city's fall fest parade would be simpler than driving, finding parking, and waiting in the traffic to get home. Next time I'll think twice. Can you feel the cooperation from this picture?

Speedy whined, screamed, and/or fell down in a heap on the street most of the walk there and back. Princess had to go to the bathroom as soon as we were 2 blocks from home. Honey ate 3 suckers and some tootsie rolls (in the wrapper) in a very short time. Princess had to hide behind my chair from a couple characters dressed up on floats. Not surprisingly, they talk about the parade favorably.

Mousecapades: we'd caught the one, by accident. Then Friday night I was minding my own business doing dishes, when I caught some movement by my foot. Followed by spotting a long skinny tail and shrieking as it ran under the fridge. Loud enough shrieking, that the kiddos (doing shrieking of their own in the bedroom), came running to see what was the matter. They were disappointed they didn't get to see the mouse. I found another glue trap, baited it with some peanut butter, and stuck it under the fridge. Sure enough, early the next morning, I heard some squeaking. Brave Hubby pulled it out for me, and to entertain the kids, he pulled it off the trap (this is more humane than a traditional snap-trap??) and put it in a glass jug for the kids to watch. He told them it would probably like a TP tube to play in, his gerbils always did. I mentioned hearing how his gerbils were always ESCAPING. He kind of shrugged and left for football meetings. I found a TP tube and took the jug out to the screened porch for observation. Did I mention it was a baby mouse? How many more in the family??? Princess was worried the mommy and daddy mouse would be looking for their baby. I don't think I gave a very good answer--I'm not very sympathetic about rodents in the house! It almost makes me ready to have a cat again. Almost...then I think about the flea issues we've had in the past...

1 comment:

Robynandwes said...

Dang mice. And fleas. Grrr! Both seem impossible to get rid of.

I know what you mean about the rain. Lucas and I usually go to the park after daycare for about an hour before we go home. This week we did not get to!